April 16 – 22 is National Volunteer Week, a time to celebrate and thank Canada’s 24 million volunteers.
Since March of 2020, CKUA’s volunteers have stuck with us through uncertainty and change, and we’ve also welcomed a number of new volunteers. Their work represents hundreds of hours of time every year.
At CKUA, volunteers:
- maintain the CKUA events calendar, keeping everyone informed about concerts and events all around the province
- work in the library on digitization projects, organizing and cataloguing music, and research
- give tours of the building to students and community groups
- assist with setup and takedown during events
- make thank-you calls, welcome new donors to the CKUA community
- track donations during the on-air portion of the fundraiser
- In addition to all of the roles mentioned above, we gratefully acknowledge a team of 23 people who gave a collective 241 hours of time to our casino in January 2023, to raise much-needed funds for CKUA.
The time and energy given by volunteers are an investment in CKUA’s future. Meagan Prus, who recently joined the CKUA team as the Events and Volunteers Coordinator, says, “I’m so excited to work closely with all of the volunteers who help maintain this legendary pillar of Alberta’s arts scene. There is such a strong history of dedicated, passionate, and talented people volunteering their time and expertise to the dream of CKUA. I’m grateful to be a part of the team.”
Roger Bryan, who has been a CKUA volunteer since 2017, says that after being a listener and a donor for many years, volunteering has allowed him to “meet and work together with wonderful people who want to see CKUA thrive.” He’s been a tour guide in the Edmonton building and has worked at a number of CKUA events. “I felt very welcomed by all the CKUA staff and announcers,” he says. “They are truly a very genuine and caring group of people.”
CKUA volunteers are a living example of generosity and commitment. Thank you to all who step up for CKUA!
If you’re a CKUA volunteer and want to tell us what you like about being a part of the crew, you can send an open mic recording from the CKUA app. Click the little microphone icon at the bottom of your screen. After you tap the screen to start recording, you have thirty seconds to record a message. We’d love to hear from you.
And for anyone interested in becoming a CKUA volunteer, please get in touch by emailing email@example.com